Monday, April 7, 2008

And That Happened

White Sox 13, Tigers 2: I've gotten to this mental place where I no longer think it's a total dork thing to buy an actual jersey and wear it in public. It's odd, really, because I'm getting older, raising kids, and becoming a more responsible adult, so it should be just the opposite. Anyway, point is, I may get one soon. As for which one, I decided that it's more important to honor a favorite player than a favorite team with my jersey choice, and to that end I wanted to go with my favorite player from my youth, the criminally underrated Alan Trammell. Problem: buying a Tigers jersey in 2008 just reeks of the bandwagon, and that I simply can't abide. What to do? For now I sit jersey-free, quietly happy that Detroit is starting the season off so poorly thereby providing political cover for my eventual purchase.

Braves 3, Mets 1: 1 ER in 7 IP makes for a tough-luck loss for Santana, but it's not like Smoltz (5 IP, 0 ER, 6K) hasn't had about a kajillion of those over the past few years. If he's still smarting about it this morning, he can call King Felix and compare notes.

Pirates 9, Marlins 2: It was around 2003 or so when I looked at the Billboard charts and realized for the first time that I had never heard of any of the artists, which made me feel old and out of touch. I'm a Mientkiewicz away from feeling the same way about the lineups in this game.

Blue Jays 7, Red Sox 4: Beckett obviously didn't have it all going today, but Francona deserves a lot of the blame. Beckett looked like toast after Aaron Hill singled, with Hill's stolen base seeming to be a function of Beckett being tired and losing focus. He was obviously laboring when he walked Rios, as ball four was an obviously overthrown high fastball ("I can't locate it anymore, but I'll sure as hell try to blow it by him!"). At that point -- having reached his predetermined pitch count with two on in a close game and reliever ready to go, Francona should have yanked Beckett. He didn't, though, allowing him to put Wells on. True, Delcarmen is one who gave up the salami to Thomas, but query: would he have been better off coming in to a game with a little more breathing room? Maybe yes, maybe no, maybe rain, maybe snow, but I think I would have been quicker on the draw than Tito was.

Reds 8, Phillies 2: OK, having Volquez around (5.1 IP, 1 ER, 8K) probably makes up for having Patterson in center instead of Hamilton. Meanwhile Jeff Keppinger (3-5, 2B, HR, 3 R, 3 RBI) is picking up right where he left off last year.

Royals 3, Twins 1: What's more improbable, the Royals bullpen's 1.05 ERA or Brett Tomko's 1.29?

Rangers 10, Angels 4: Gerald Laird: 4-5, 2 HR, 6 RBI. Jarrod Saltalamacchia seen breaking in first basemen's glove, taking grounders at second, working on knuckle ball.

Brewers 7, Giants 0: Look, a lot of people are going to congratulate Ben Sheets on this outing (CG, SHO, 8 K, 0 BB), but let's see what he can do when this rehab stint takes him up to AAA. Wait, what? Those were major leaguers he was pitching against? Oh my.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you can buy a Tigers jersey without any bandwagon-relqted criticsim. Just tell them that you bought it after the ESPN NWSCS meme ("No World Series Champ started 0-6").

Or do what I do, give in to the itch, buy the jersey and then bury it in your closet like the Reggie Jackson Angels' jersey I just bought in Beijing.

Craig Calcaterra said...

Wow, they're selling Reggie Jackson Angels schwag in China?

I wonder if I can get a Fred Lynn?